Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside! These southern fried green tomatoes are the perfect snack or side dish to enjoy all summer long.
Fried green tomatoes are the quint essential summer southern dish! Green tomatoes have started popping up at our local farmers market and I couldn’t help but buy several.
These crispy and hot tomatoes encrusted in fried batter will have you wanting to make them throughout the summer. I can’t get enough of them.
I totally get everyone is watching their weight or believe carbs are the devil. I totally understand. BUT you will thank me for enticing you with these carb loaded Fried green tomatoes – it’s totally worth it!
How to make Fried Green Tomatoes
- Green tomatoes
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup oil
For spicy ranch dip:
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 tbsp. Cholula Hot Sauce
- Place oil in pan and turn to medium-high heat.
- Wash tomatoes and then cut into ¼ inch slices.
- In a shallow dish, mix egg, milk, garlic powder and cornmeal together.
- On a small plate place panko crumbs. Dip a tomato slice in the egg mixture then cover with the panko crumbs.
- Place tomato in oil and fry each side for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place on plate lined with paper towels. Serve hot with spicy jalapeño dip.
- To make the dip, add ranch dressing, jalapeños and Cholula to food processor. Mix until jalapeños are minced and mixed well.
What are green tomatoes?
Green tomatoes are basically unripe tomatoes. With enough sunlight, the tomatoes will turn red. Green tomatoes are firmer and are the only tomatoes that are perfect for frying. They have a tart flavor, but turn slightly sweet once fried.