A Texas size safari sits 2 hours from DFW, but makes you feel like you are on a different continent. Here is everything you need to know about Fossil Rim a Texas Safari Guide.
Do you ever have the urge to hop in the car and take a spontaneous road trip?
That’s exactly what we did this 4th of July! Living in Fort Worth, we are in close proximity to a plethora of fun activities and endless small towns.
We packed the cooler with drinks, snacks and lunch then we hit the road. About 75 miles outside of Fort Worth sits the charming town of Glen Rose. Known for floating the river, dinosaur tracks and Fossil Rim which is a drive thru safari.
Opting for Fossil Rim because we had the opportunity to drive the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid for the week and wanted to see how it drives on the hills at the park.
Everything you need to know about Fossil Rim a Texas Safari Guide
- Get there early – You are going to want to get there early, especially in the summer. Plus it’s better to be able to drive through the park it gets crowded.
- Purchase feed – For $7 you can purchase feed for the animals. This is the best part! The animals expect to be fed and will come right up to your car window looking for a snack. You are only allowed 1 bag per vehicle, so be sure to spread out the feed so you have enough for the entire drive.
- Bring Snacks – The park is consists of a 7 miles drive with over 1,000 animals and expect to spend several hours driving through the park. They have a gift shop and restaurant about half way through the drive. Little kids may be too excited to sit and eat lunch at the restaurant, but my son prefers to eat in the car while exploring.
- Take lots of photos – Be sure to have your camera or phone ready at all times. The animals are always ready for a selfie and want to eat out of your hand…although you are supposed to place food on the ground. But some animals don’t always obey the rules!
This is our second time doing the safari and we absolutely enjoyed every minute. It’s amazing to see the animals up close and to see the excitement in my sons eyes!
Of course driving around Fossil Rim in the RAV4 Hybrid made it so much fun. We opened up the sunroof and was able to get a different perspective of the giraffes. The car was so smooth and quiet – a few times I wasn’t even sure if it was on!
The RAV4 has plenty of features:
- Back up sensors alert you when you get close to an object.
- Forgot your phone charger? No worries, they have a pad charger you can place your phone on it and it charges the phone.
- Plenty of interior room and a huge trunk space.
- Panoramic glass roof.
- Road Sign Assist – detects speed limit and stop signs and displays them on the speedometer screen.
- Apple CarPlay. Easy to make calls, listen to music and get directions while driving.
More posts you may like: