Birthdays are an exciting time for kids, and finding the perfect gift can make their day even more special. As they grow and develop, their interests and hobbies change, making it challenging to find the ideal present.
The Origin Of Birthday Gifts
The tradition of giving birthday gifts is an ancient one, dating back to the early Egyptians and Romans. The Egyptians believed that on a person’s birthday, their soul was renewed, and the Romans celebrated birthdays with feasts and gifts.
During the Middle Ages, birthday celebrations were often reserved for royalty and the wealthy. They were lavish affairs that included feasting, dancing, and gift-giving. In the 19th century, the middle class began to adopt the practice of celebrating birthdays, and with the advent of industrialization, mass-produced goods became more widely available, making gift-giving more accessible to the general population.
Today, birthday gifts are an important part of many cultures around the world. They are a way to show love, appreciation, and celebration for the person’s life and accomplishments. In some cultures, such as Japan, the type of gift given is carefully chosen to reflect the relationship between the giver and the receiver, and the level of formality of the occasion.
While the tradition of giving birthday gifts has evolved over time, the sentiment behind it remains the same: to express love and appreciation for the person celebrating their special day. Whether it’s a small token of affection or a grand gesture, a thoughtful birthday gift can make a big impact on the person receiving it.
We’ve compiled a list of gift ideas for kids for their birthday until they’re adults, to help you choose the perfect gift for the young ones in your life.
A baby’s first birthday is a momentous occasion, and you want to make it extra special. For this age group, the focus is on toys that stimulate their senses, such as:
- Activity Gym – A soft and colourful playmat with toys that dangle overhead, providing visual and tactile stimulation.
- Shape Sorter – A toy that encourages hand-eye coordination and helps develop fine motor skills.
- Baby Walker – A push toy that provides support as they learn to walk.
By age two, children are more active and curious about the world around them. They have developed more advanced motor skills and are learning how to communicate. Gifts for this age group should be focused on educational toys and books that promote learning, such as:
- Picture Books – Books with bright and colourful illustrations that promote language development and storytelling.
- Blocks – Building blocks that help develop problem-solving skills and encourage creativity.
- Musical Instruments – Instruments that encourage the exploration of sound and rhythm, such as a toy xylophone.
At three years old, kids are more independent and have a greater understanding of the world around them. They enjoy imaginative play and are learning how to express their feelings. Gift ideas for this age group include:
- Play Kitchen – A toy kitchen that encourages imaginative play and helps develop social skills.
- Dollhouse – A miniature house that provides a space for creative play and helps develop storytelling skills.
- Tricycle – A three-wheeled bike that helps develop balance and coordination.
At four years old, kids have developed a sense of independence and are learning how to interact with others. They are developing more advanced problem-solving skills and enjoy exploring their surroundings. Gift ideas for this age group include:
- Arts and Crafts Supplies – Supplies such as crayons, paints, and play dough that encourage creativity and imaginative play.
- Puzzles – Puzzles that challenge problem-solving skills and promote hand-eye coordination.
- Scooter – A two-wheeled scooter that helps develop balance and coordination.
By age five, kids are preparing for kindergarten and are more advanced in their learning and development. They enjoy playing with friends and are developing more advanced social skills. Gift ideas for this age group include:
- Board Games – Games that encourage problem-solving, cooperation, and social skills, such as Candy Land or Chutes and Ladders.
- Legos – Building sets that encourage creativity, imagination, and problem-solving.
- Roller Skates – A fun and active way to develop balance and coordination.
The 7th birthday is a special milestone for children as they are beginning to develop their own interests and personalities. At this age, they are more aware of their surroundings and are eager to explore new things. Gift ideas for a 7-year-old should reflect their growing independence and their love for learning and discovery. Here are some gift ideas for a 7th birthday:
- Books – Reading is a great way for children to learn and explore new ideas. At this age, children are typically reading independently, so books that align with their interests and reading level are a great gift idea.
- Building Sets – Building sets, such as Legos or building blocks, can help children develop their problem-solving and spatial awareness skills while also encouraging creativity and imagination.
- Arts and Crafts Supplies – Arts and crafts are a great way for children to express themselves and develop their creativity. Consider gifting a set of markers, crayons, or a painting kit to encourage their artistic skills.
The 9th birthday is an important milestone for children, marking the end of their single-digit years and the beginning of their journey into tweenhood. Gift ideas for this age group should reflect their growing independence and emerging interests. If you are a boy mom, check out favorite gift ideas for a 9 year old boy. Here are some gift ideas for a 9-year-old:
- Musical Instruments – If your child has shown an interest in music, consider giving them a musical instrument. A beginner’s guitar or keyboard can be a great way to start exploring their musical talents.
- Outdoor Toys – As children begin to spend more time outdoors, gift ideas such as a new bike or a skateboard can help them stay active and explore their surroundings.
- Board Games – Board games can provide a fun and engaging activity for children to enjoy with friends and family. Look for games that encourage strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, such as Risk or Settlers of Catan.
By age ten, kids are approaching adolescence and are more independent and self-aware. They enjoy activities with friends and have a greater understanding of the world around them. Gift ideas for this age group include:
- Science Kits – Kits that encourage exploration and learning in science, technology, engineering, and maths (STEM).
- Sports Equipment – Equipment for their favourite sports, such as a basketball or soccer ball, to encourage physical activity and teamwork.
- Books – Books that challenge their thinking and promote learning, such as biographies, historical fiction, or science fiction.
The 13th birthday marks the beginning of the teenage years, a time of change and growth as children transition into young adults. Gift ideas for a 13-year-old should reflect their emerging interests and a growing sense of independence. Here are some gift ideas for a 13th birthday:
- Personalised Jewellery – A piece of jewellery with their name or birthdate can be a special and meaningful gift for a 13-year-old. Consider a necklace or bracelet with a charm that reflects their interests.
- Technology – Teenagers are often interested in the latest technology, such as a new phone or tablet. Consider gifting them a device that aligns with their needs and interests.
- Clothing – Clothing is an important part of teenage identity and self-expression. Consider gifting them a new outfit or accessory that reflects their personal style.
At sixteen, kids are approaching adulthood and are developing a sense of their identity and values. They are preparing for life beyond high school and may be thinking about their future careers and interests. Gift ideas for this age group include:
- Driving Lessons – If the teen is almost of legal driving age, consider gifting them with driving lessons or helping them pay for car insurance.
- College Prep Materials – Encourage their college aspirations with a gift that supports their academic success, or a subscription to a college admissions website.
- Jewellery – A meaningful piece of jewellery, such as a personalised necklace or bracelet, to commemorate this milestone birthday.
At eighteen, kids are officially legal adults and are preparing to embark on their own life journey. They may be heading off to college, starting a career, or pursuing their passions. Gift ideas for this age group include:
- Travel Experience – Encourage their sense of adventure with a travel experience, such as a trip abroad or a weekend getaway.
- Tech Gadgets – Gadgets that help them stay connected and organised, such as a laptop or a smartwatch.
- Self-Care Items – Encourage self-care and relaxation with items such as a massage gift certificate, a cosy blanket, or a scented candle.
There You Have It
Choosing the perfect gift for kids can be challenging, but by considering their interests, developmental stage, and age, you can find a gift that is both meaningful and appropriate. From sensory toys for infants to travel experiences for young adults, these gift ideas for most birthdays until they’re adults offer a range of options to help you find the perfect gift for the young ones in your life. Remember, the best gifts are those that inspire, challenge, and support their growth and development.