The microwave is one of the most well-used and well-loved kitchen appliances ever created. It’s ideal for heating leftovers (and the occasional mug of forgotten coffee), it can make healthy (and unhealthy) snacks quickly and easily, and it can even – depending on the type of microwave you have – cook entire meals from scratch.
Tips on using your microwave
However, although these gadgets have been around for a long time and it’s easy to take them for granted, even being reasonably blasé about using them, it’s important to remember that they are potentially dangerous, and they need to be used with care. Read on for some safety tips about what you should never put in a microwave to ensure you protect yourself, your home, and the microwave itself.
One of the biggest reasons why you might need to replace microwave turntable motor or even the entire microwave is if you put aluminum foil in it. In fact, this can cause some serious fires if you don’t notice the issue quickly and stop the machine.
It’s an easy mistake to make – grabbing some leftovers straight from the fridge, covered with foil, and putting them straight into the microwave to heat up might seem like a perfectly fine idea. The problem is that the foil is made of metal, and any time metal is put in a microwave, it will cause sparks and potentially flames.
This is why it’s also never a good idea to put any metal utensils such as knives, forks, or spoons into the microwave either, and certainly no metal bowls.
You might think that paper bags wouldn’t have any problems in a microwave. Since there are no naked flames in the machine, surely there is nothing that can catch light and burn or explode? However, this is actually not entirely true, and paper bags are definitely not something you should heat up in a microwave. This is because, when warmed, a paper bag will release toxins into the air. If those toxins are trapped within the small space of a microwave, they can ignite.
We mentioned that microwaves are a useful tool when it comes to heating coffee that you forgot to drink, and that’s an accurate description of one of their many uses. However, that coffee will need to be in a real mug made of china or porcelain and not in a travel mug. Travel mugs can’t withstand as high temperatures as standard mugs can, and will usually crack or even explode when subjected to the radiation in a microwave.
It doesn’t matter even if you only plan to heat whatever is in the Styrofoam container for a very short time; complications will arise. The radiation will make the Styrofoam melt, which will cause a big mess in the microwave, and it will contaminate any food that was in there. Even if the Styrofoam doesn’t melt, you should still not eat any food contained in it since it will now have toxins in it.
Microwaving nothing at all might seem harmless, but it’s not – in some cases, it will mean the microwave catches fire, and even if it doesn’t, it might still sustain damage.