I don’t know if you have noticed or not, but the act of chivalry among young men (and some adult men) seems to be fading. Maybe parents aren’t teaching boys to open doors for girls, or how to have respect for others. No matter the reason for this, I am making a point to make sure I raise my son to be a gentleman. And it’s never too early to start!
I feel that a true gentleman does the following:
- Love the Lord
- Yes ma’am – Respond with yes ma’am/no sir
- Respect elders – Listen to what they say and look them in their eyes
- Serve others – Everyone needs a helping hand at times
- Be polite – Just simply be courteous and kind
- Ladies first – Open doors for them, let them go in first, offer to carry heavy items for her (Ladies, let them!)
- Table manners – Sit up straight, elbows off the table, no burping and put away the phone
- Be a protector – Teach them that it is a man’s job to protect and defend their families. They love being the “man” of the house
- Follows parents lead – Kids learn the best through example
- Try to show Christ’s love in all that we do
What are your tips on chivalry or manners?