This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #WorryFreeMessFree #CollectiveBias
Homemade placemats are perfect for beginner sewers or those looking to update the kitchen table without spending much. I used fabric I had that was leftover from another project I did last year and spruced it up by adding a stenciled B for my last name.
Here is what you need:
2 14”x18” fabric
Fabric or acrylic paint
Brush or sponge
Scotchgard™ Fabric & Upholstery Protector
How to make DIY Stenciled Monogrammed Placemats:
- Take the two pieces of fabric with right sides together and pin around the edges.
- Sew a 1/2” seam all around the placemat and leaving a 2-3 inch space that is not sewn.
- Clip the corners – make sure not to cut on the seam.
- Turn your fabric right side out.
- Iron the fabric.
- Topstitch the open part of the placemat.
- Place the stencil on placemat, paint over the stencil and let dry.
- Remove the stencil.
- Spray a light coat of Scotchgard™ Fabric & Upholstery Protector to top of placemat. Here are the steps on using it:
- Prepare: Protect surrounding non-fabric materials from overspray. If overspray occurs, quickly wipe it up.
- Shake: Shake can well.
- Test: Test for colorfastness. Spray hidden area until wet and wipe vigorously with a white absorbent cloth. If color rubs off, DO NOT USE.
- Spray: Hold can upright 6″ (15cm) from fabric surface. Overlap spray using a slow, sweeping motion. Two light coats are better than one heavy coating.
- Dry: Allow to dry between coats.
- Reapply: Reapply after every cleaning or annually to maintain protection. Durability of protection varies with wear
- Repeat steps to make needed amount.
Using Scotchgard™ Fabric & Upholstery Protector will repel liquids and blocks stains. So no worries if messy kids drop their food or a drink gets tipped over. Scotchgard is invisible protection and it provides that WOW factor. Make sure to reapply after every wash to main protection.
You can purchase Scotchgard in the cleaning aisle of Lowe’s. Make sure to use this $1.00 off any ONE Scotchgard Product from Coupons.com.
Do you like to sew? What home projects will you be making this summer?