This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ScrubbingPower #CollectiveBias
Cooking with my cast irons skillets are wonderful. They always seem to cook evenly and get the dish the perfect amount of crisp that I want. But before my mom shared with me her easy way of getting rust of the cast iron, I used to dread having to season it every time before cooking.
Want to know her secret? All you have to do is cut a raw potato in half and sprinkle on 2 tablespoon of sea salt onto the pan. With the potato, scrub the salt around in circles and the rust instantly comes up. Continue until all rust is gone. Once the pan is rust free, I wash it with dish soap and scrub with the new washable, reusable Scotch-Brite® Scrubbing Dish Cloth that I purchased at Kroger.
These dish cloths are available in 2 packs in grey, mint, tan and navy at Kroger for $5.49 for the 2-pack and $2.99 for a single. You can also get $1 off a 1 pack and $1.50 off a 2 pack of the Scotch-Brite® Scrubbing Dish Cloths available in store on clips strips with the product display.
The Scotch-Brite scrubbing dish cloth is strong enough to scrub clean a dirty cast iron pan with it’s textured fiber cloth that has scrubbing dots on one side and the non-scratch side for wiping and drying functions of a dish cloth. Making it the simplest cleaning tool for all my heavy duty cleaning. I can easily clean my crusty skillet after dinner and wipe down the messy counters with the same cloth.
Once my pan was ready for the oven, I made this delicious Cast Iron Skillet Nacho Fries.
- 1/2 bag frozen french fries
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 3 cups grated cheese
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- Bake french fries on cookie sheet according to package directions or bake until crisp.
- In a skillet brown ground beef over medium high heat. Once brown, stir in taco seasoning and 2/3 cup water. Cook on low for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Once french fries are cooked, place them in cast iron skillet.
- Top the fries with ground beef, cheese, onions and cilantro and broil in oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Top with tomatoes and serve immediately.
Check out more great recipes and cleaning tutorials here.